Venue confirmed for ANGEL conference 2019.
Goodenough College is not actually a teaching site, but rather an international residential centre for postgraduates studying or training in London, as well as an educational trust. The building, built in the 1930s, was planned to provide a sense of 'collegiate life along Oxbridge lines', and sits on the quiet and historic Mecklenburgh Square in Bloomsbury, just across from the renowned Foundling Museum and the complex of historic garden squares that includes Brunswick Square Gardens.
This venue, a short walk from the UCL Institute of Education itself, will ensure an enjoyable background and setting for our conference - especially for visitors from abroad who are interested in historic London.
There are many interesting sights within walking distance, including several characterful shopping streets like Marchmont Street, Lamb's Conduit St and the famous modernist shopping centre The Brunswick Centre. The area is well known for its book shops, as well as for its spacious streets and many parks.
Getting to the area
Goodenough College is very accessible - there are two railway stations and two underground stations within a ten minute walk, including the Eurostar station at St Pancras International, and Russell Square underground station which links directly to Heathrow Airport. The venue itself has very useful information on a dedicated webpage. The main UCL campus is ten minutes walk to the west.
Heathrow to UCL
- By London Underground (Tube). Take the Piccadilly Line to either King's Cross or Russell Square Station and then either walk (about 10 mins.) or take a taxi.
- By Train. Heathrow Express to Paddington . Trains run regularly, every 15 minutes and the journey takes approximately 15 minutes. From Paddington you can take a taxi, or a tube to Euston Square Underground Station.
- By Bus. Take the Air Bus (A2) which leaves every half-hour from the terminal buildings, to either Russell Square or Euston Station and then either walk or take a taxi.
- By Taxi. This is by far the most expensive way and can cost in the region of £50 depending on the time of day and density of the traffic. Use only registered taxis from taxi ranks.
Gatwick to UCL
- By Train. Take the Thameslink train to Farringdon and then transfer to the Tube and take either the Metropolitan, Circle or Hammersmith and City lines westbound to Euston Square. Alternatively take a taxi from Farringdon.
- The Gatwick Express runs from Gatwick to London Victoria, and from there you can take the tube (Victoria Line) to Warren Street. However, this is slightly more expensive.
- By Bus. Take flight line 777 from Gatwick North Terminal to Victoria and then either transfer to the tube, bus or a taxi. Flight line departs Gatwick at 5.15 am, 6.12 am, 6.42 am and then every 52 minutes past each hour throughout the day. Flight line 777 departs from Gatwick South Terminal 10 minutes after the time given above.
- By Taxi. The taxi fare will cost you well in excess of £40. Use only registered taxis from taxi ranks.
Stansted to UCL
- By Train. The quickest way by far to reach UCL is to take the Stansted Skytrain direct from Stansted Airport station to Tottenham Hale and then take the London Underground Victoria Line to Warren Street. UCL is a 5 minute walk from Warren Street (local area map posted in station).
Bloomsbury is famous for its hotels. You will find lots of options, mainly to the west of Goodenough College, around the Russell Square area. The venue itself runs The Goodenough, a hotel which is just across the square from the Conference venue. Many visitors to UCL conferences stay in the hotels of the Imperial Group, which are very affordable. You will also find many small independent hotels in the area, particularly around the nearby Cartwright Gardens.