Special Interest Group on Teacher Education
Member-driven group examines the evidence and research on approaches to global education and global citizenship education within teacher education provision.
Having developed a large and broad membership base, ANGEL is now seeking to establish a series of Special Interest Groups (SIGs), partly in response to specific suggestions from the membership. One of the most mentioned possibilities has been to focus on teacher education, and particularly - what is the evidence and research on approaches to global education and global citizenship education within teacher education provision?
Hence, members were invited to join, and to vote on convenors for, a SIG on teacher education. This SIG, launched in Autumn 2021, will function as something of a pilot group, with others planned to launch in the near future.
Proposed / possible activities:
- Regular online meetings to compare approaches to teacher education and share research
- Developing joint funding proposals
- Space within the ANGEL website to share issues emerging from the group
- Symposium at relevant ANGEL conferences and events
- Opportunity to coordinate special issues of journals that ANGEL has relationships with
- Bring together series of papers that could form a book to be published within the ANGEL book series on global citizenship education with Bloomsbury
Support for the establishment and running of the SIG is provided by the secretariat of ANGEL, but the executive leadership consists of three SIG convenors who were elected by the SIG members, and who will fulfil the role for a maximum of three years.
Please find below the details of the co-convenors elected in September 2021, with hyperlinks to a document with their biography and also their reasoning for their interest in the role. The three candidates decided to share the role as co-convenors.
- Mónica Lourenço (Universidade de Aveiro)
- Qudsia Kalsoom (Beaconhouse National University)
- Benjamin Mallon (Dublin City University
If you have already joined and want to contact the convenors, please do so via the Slack group. You will find the 'Direct messaging' facility on the menu stack on the left of the page.
If you have a question for the convenors and are not yet a member, you can reach them here.
The SIG uses 'Slack', an online platform for collaboration, to coordinate it's activities. This will allow you to have direct channels of communication to the whole SIG.
Want to join?
You can join at any point. Just email the ANGEL secretariat and we will add you to the list. You'll need to be an ANGEL member to join (it's free!).
Do you have an idea for another SIG?
Members are also encouraged to suggest other SIGs on themes that could attract at least 10 people. Please be in touch with the ANGEL secretariat and we will initiate further calls for participation.